Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Considering Striking Out On My Own

This topic is 6292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am considering starting my own business with my main focus developing FileMaker solutions. I also plan to take adavantage of my IT/Telephony background to supplement FileMaker.

I currently have a "built in" customer base. My current job takes me to different school districts where a lot of FM solutions could help them out. I would like thoughts on striking out on your own. Also, any caveats I need to look for. I plan on sticking with my "day" job and develop on the side for now.

Also do you folks who develop for a living usually charge software maintenance fees on what you develop? Thanks in advance.

I stuck with the day job for about 18 months after starting off, whilst things were getting going. I left the day job when I found myself spending more time doing my freelance work than the day job. A tough couple of years, but worth it as I exited the day job to what was by then a well-established business.

If you already have access to these potential clients, try sounding them out to see what their needs are and give them a 'quotation' for solving their problems and ongoing work.

And yes, charging for maintenance is essential in my view. A modest monthly fee to support within the original brief the system you've created is quite reasonable, and most companies are happy to pay it in return for peace of mind. What you get from it is not only the money, but regular contact with the person paying it... which means more opportunities to talk to them and find out what their concerns are, and chances to quote for solving problems you wouldn't otherwise have known they had.

This topic is 6292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.