Copy Closed / Clone Opened

Totes

This topic is 6275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Here is something I have been fighting all day at work.

I had a db on the FM Server 8, I made a copy and took it home to make some changes (just some layout changes and one custom function which I have done before)…I took the file back and placed it on the server but it would not open.

The server would automatically close the file, when I selected open all DB’s. I messed around with it most of the day to no avail, then I just did a clone and placed it on the server and it opened it right up for use.

(of course when I say open up, I mean open and available for users to access over our network)

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

Thank you for your information.

(I have seen several of your posts here and they have helped me greatly)

If I may bother you again, I am very new to FM and inherited the server as well as FM…could you explain what the latent corruption in the file is.

Is it something I did, or is it just a glitch.

Thanks again.

James

ould you explain what the latent corruption in the file is.

Is it something I did, or is it just a glitch.

"Yes, repeat, no...." as the station chief in Little Drummer Girl so eloquently put it.

Corruption in a FileMaker Pro file can be structural, data, or both. It's basically damage to the file that can run from mild and virtually unnoticeable to severe and fatal. It causes are not fully known--at least to me--but there are a number of actions including crashes, copying open files, and hardware related problems that can introduce it.

The first time FIleMaker Server 8 opens a file it runs a consistency check on it. If that check fails, it closes the file and writes an entry to the Server log. Thereafter, if the file has been closed incorrectly, Server will repeat the process. This si all Server based; it does not occur in the client application.

Take a look at FileMaker Tech Info 5371 and tech Info 5594.

HTH

Steven

This topic is 6275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.