Locking a portal row

Lee J

This topic is 8310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Within our POrtal we have many items shown, when you click on the portal row the corresponding relted information is shown to the right.

This works fine,

However the issue we have is that if we click on a portal row which is way down the list, the list refreshes itself and you lose sight of the record.

Can you lock, or hold a portal row, instead of having to scroll back down the list?

or better yet get this item to be put at the top.

We did have a sort option on the portal but this has been removed.

Hope this makes sense.

cheers

Hello Byteworks,

you can accomplish this job, but the trick is a little bit sophisticated:

you must, at the design time, disable the vert. scroll bar of the portal and emulate them via buttonized scripts (i.e. scroll down, scroll up, etc.)

Aborting the natural scroll bars avoid FM refreshing all the portal each time !

Obviously you MUST keep track, manually, of row positioning / repositioning during the navigation (i store the current portal row number in a global numeric field; the same thing i do for the number of active rows in the portal).

Hope this helps.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: JPaul ]

Hi JPaul,

If i understand you correctly, what you are suggesting is that i create the scroll bar and set up a global which stores the last click portal rows, number.

Then as and when the user clicks the up/down icons I increment or decrement the global value and then select that portal row.

I'm finding out that a portal can be of great assistance in some areas but has limiting ability.

thanks

Hi Byteworks,

you did understand correctly !

Portals are very powerful (with very few limits) but they require a certain degree of knowledge of their dynamic (often concealed and mysterious...).

I can't recognize your e-mail else i would have a couple of files to send to you explaining in depth some of these alchemic things...!

Regards.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: JPaul ]

• 1 month later...

Hey JPaul,

If I create a portal with no scrollbars I can only go as far as the last visible record. For Example if I am showing 1-25 records how to I scroll down to show 2-26. I tried moving to the last portal row and then going to next portal row but that doesn't scroll the portal down. Am I missing something?

Is there some place I can find an example of this method? I can't seem to get it to work.

quote:

Originally posted by spragueg:

Hey JPaul,

If I create a portal with no scrollbars I can only go as far as the last visible record. For Example if I am showing 1-25 records how to I scroll down to show 2-26. I tried moving to the last portal row and then going to next portal row but that doesn't scroll the portal down. Am I missing something?

Is there some place I can find an example of this method? I can't seem to get it to work.

If the 26th. row is the last physical record, in a scroll bar-less portal you can't go over.

This type of portal does not insert a blank row at the end as a 'normal' portal does: then the last portrow does correspond to the effective last related record.

You can get a workaround by creating a new blank record in the related file (by running an external script) and jump to it: be careful of delete it, if unused, at the end of your logical flow.

About portals design visit www.layoutmode.com; about portals concerns and featuring take look at www.databasepros.com.

Best regards.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: JPaul ]

This topic is 8310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.