Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Going multi user... misc. questions

This topic is 6263 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can't seem to find clear answers at FM website... and I'm completely new to this situation.

I've got a solution that is currently a one user at a time runtime.

Alas, new customer wants two user ability on two peer to peer connected PCs.

I've figured out already that the runtime can't do that. So...

Is it possible to have Pro on one PC and runtime on the other?

If not (which is my guess), I need two 8.5 licenses... do I have to actually buy two boxed copies or can I just buy licenses.. same price?

If I bought and installed Server, would users be able to use runtimes or just have to run two copies of Pro on the two machines?

One last one: if I own 8.5 Adv, there is no functionality loss if the solution is run by users on just 8.5 is there?

Is it possible to have Pro on one PC and runtime on the other?

Short answer is no they will not talk to each other.

If not (which is my guess), I need two 8.5 licenses... do I have to actually buy two boxed copies or can I just buy licenses.. same price?

I think the price may be the same whether its just the licenses or the entire box set. You can use the same CD to do yuor installs with different Key codes.

If I bought and installed Server, would users be able to use runtimes or just have to run two copies of Pro on the two machines?

Runtimes are stand alone regardless of having server or not.

One last one: if I own 8.5 Adv, there is no functionality loss if the solution is run by users on just 8.5 is there?

Not really except for the things that come with Advanced such as the script debugger, etc. but most likely you wouldnt want your users to access that anyway. The functionality of the custom functions that you build in Advanced will work in Pro.

Hi aharown07,

You might want to take a look at Instant Web Publishing (IWP) if you don't want to be using multiple FileMaker Licenses, though there is a slight loss of functionality (minimal) you only need to have one copy of FileMaker Pro to support 5 users -- you use a web browser to access the FileMaker database that FileMaker Pro hosts.

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately that's not the case. While strictly speaking the runtime can be hosted on FileMaker server, only one user can ever access the run time at any time. That's why at this stage everyone is desperately awaiting the release of FM 9 where Thin Clients are rumored to be supported.

... and aharown07 ... glad to help :P

OK, a little confusion here.

First, some nomenclature. The runtime engine created by the dveloper tool is standalone. It does not work with FileMaker Server.

The data files associated with that runtime are just ordinary FileMaker Pro files with a special flag set in their headers. They can be opened by FileMaker Pro. They can be hosted by FIleMaker Server for access by [color:red]FileMaker Pro clients only, or by various elements of FIleMaker Server Advanced. In either case, appropriate Extended privileges must have been set in those files.

HTH

Steven

at this stage everyone is desperately awaiting the release of FM 9 where Thin Clients are rumored to be supported.

ROFLOL. Now you all know better than to wander off down this road. Remember, "Those who live by the FileMaker crystal ball soon learn to eat ground case functions."

Steven

This topic is 6263 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.