Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Client running on Parallels/WindowsXP

This topic is 5951 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have server 8 on a mac platform and have no problem hosting to mac OS X and windows XP clients. I personally connect to my server via my Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.4.8 using FM 8.5, but I also want to connect via XP running on my mac via Parallels (so that I can view layouts in Windows).

FP 8.5 runs fine on Parallels/XP (I can create a database), but when I open remote to connect to my server, there is no host listed (unlike when I connect from Mac OS X).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

I am in a very similar situation as you have described. It works well for me to check my Mac-sided FMP solution over on the Parallels/Win2000 side to verify compatibility.

I guess that I just have never tried opening my remote files on the Win2000 side yet. I just tried it and it worked fine.

But it made me remember an issue that I have had in the past that was a little confusing, but now is just routine so that I don't consider it much. I mention it just in case it'll be your solution.

Local Hosts vs. Favorite Hosts is the issue I'm referring to.

It seems, for reasons I am not entirely clear on (clarification by someone would be great), that when I am outside my local network where the server resides, I of course use Favorite Hosts with the IP address 24.20.......

But when I am inside my local network the Favorite Hosts IP address doesn't work. I have to switch over to Local Hosts and then the local 192.168.... address shows up and works.

When I tried opening my remote files from the Paralleles/Win2000 FMP side, I switched over to the Local Hosts and they showed up and ran just as expected.

Again, don't know if this will be your solution but I can at least confirm that the Win2000 FMP side did open remote files for me from Parallels.

If it still does not open for you, I suppose the next thing to try is that you can get a webpage up in IE. If not you have a network setting issue that would be causing it.

It's external vs. internal ip addresses..

Local hosts will show the server (when you are connected to the same local network as your FMS) if you haven't disabled broadcasting its existence in the server admin tool.

Favourite hosts using 211.223.xxx.xxx is your external IP, it won't operate internally because you a broadcasting a request to the location of the destination from the destination... I.e. you're in America and you send out a letter to every country accross the world asking them to respond if their location is America... You won't get any response because you don't send yourself a letter.

I mean what would be the logic of flying from America to Australia to get to America if you're already there?

Hence why when within a local network you have to use a local IP address, or when outside the network, have to use the external ip address.

Edited by Guest

• 9 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi on all

me too: by wireless and local Hosts: the srv-name is visible, the file-list is empty:

- Ports open (5003 udp and tcp)

- Parallels by Little-Snitch: allowed

control:

- the local FMPA 9.03 make the file-list

any ideas?

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

thanks - i tryed without results ...

- open port 5353 on MacOS X-build-in-FW (TCP and UDP)

- updated parallels on new build (new network-preferences-GUI)

- tested additional Port-Forwarding 5003 and 5353 (TCP)

-> srv-name visible, without file-list

-> i tryed the filepath manualy fmnet:/..... fp7 ;-(

Arthur

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 5951 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.