Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating fields "on the fly"

This topic is 6266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I must have missed something: Can't FM create new fields on the fly? E.g., I have a field, SWCourses, that displays a "checkbox-able" list of s/w course names. What I'd like FM to do is when a user checks an item, a new field, SWblank(n), where n is the item name, appears next to the item that was checked. THAT field has five values. So it might look like this:

X C programming O O O O O

C# programming

X Java programming O O O O O

X PHP programming O O O O O

Any help is appreciated. I don't see what I'm missing.

Thanks.

Steve

Thank you very much for that simple demo file! I think I was considering a more complicated way of doing something that I guess can't be done. One question, though: How could I prevent someone from selecting the same course twice or more?

Thanks again.

Steve

One way would be to create a auto enter text field that uses a combination of the personID and the courseID to create a unique key... then just set the validation settings to be unique.

My explanation unfortunately can only be as good as what you've given me, in this case four rows of data that all store basically the same information... In this sort of situation, we use the concept of relational databases...

Database programs don't let you generate fields on the fly (not in the conventional sense anyway).

Edited by Guest

Thanks, Genx. I'm not sure I understand your idea here.

In reality, my application has 50 or so different course names. So, I didn't want to create 50 or more individual fields---one for each course name---in which the student would indicate his proficiency stage, 1 through 5. My thought was that when a student clicked a course name, the proficiency field would automatically pop up, prompting the student to enter 1 through 5.

Thanks for any clarifications you might have.

Steve

I think that you have to get your concept settled in your head before anyone can really help you.

What I THINK you need is 1 record for each course.

Each record would have 1 field for the course name and one field for the proficiency. If you have that simple structure then of course Filemaker can then create records on the fly ( not fields as you first asked)

How you then link these records to the student is the next thing that you want to get settled in your mind but we will need a little more info to help you with that

HTH

Phil

Søren--

You've linked to a subscriber-only resource. It seems to me that you shouldn't do that, as it doesn't really help people who don't subscribe to that magazine (like me).

Steve--

You should be able to get what you want using a join table...

David

Edited by Guest
Why reinvent the wheel?

This topic is 6266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.