Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Database sharing how to....

This topic is 6260 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have designed a basic medical records database for my office using Filemaker Developer 7. I now need to figure out how to simultaneously share the database on three different computers (one in each exam room). Can someone give me the basic options on how to do this? I have heard of "runtime", "server versions", "web browser solutions", etc., but don't understand what the easiest solution is and don't understand whether I have the right version of the software to create this solution or if I need to purchase more copies of FMD 7, a different version, more licenses, etc.?

You do not need developer on all three machines but you will need 2 additional licenses of FM Pro or Developer. If you plan on expanding to more than 3 computers, I would suggest gettinga dedicated FM server and run FM Server on it.

Here are some tidbits. The computer that first opens the files will he the "host". It is best to open the files with the same computer every day or leave that computer on.

Server would be the best way to go though. It has the built in ability to make backups.

This topic is 6260 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.