Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Deleting multiple records

This topic is 8593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a link on a page that finds a group of records. What I want to do is on finding these records I want to provide a link that will delete all of them. Now I'm not sure Filemaker allows you to do this in CDML. I'm thinking maybe I should set the link to activate a script to do it, but I would prefer to use CDML to delete it. Now I find it kinda weird that they didn't give you a delete all option in CDML. Dangerous? yes...but useful. Please advise. Thanks

I know of no way to delete multiple records with CDML. A script would be the only way to do it.

Before setting this up I'd recommend that password security be put on the database. And a regular backup regime (I'm not kidding).

A thought just occurred: it could be done with related files if the relationship was set up to allow deletion of related records. Delete the master record and all the related records will hit the bit bucket automatically. The usual disclaimers about the dangers of self-join relationships apply here.

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

I know of no way to delete multiple records with CDML. A script would be the only way to do it.

Before setting this up I'd recommend that password security be put on the database. And a regular backup regime (I'm not kidding).

A thought just occurred: it could be done with related files if the relationship was set up to allow deletion of related records. Delete the master record and all the related records will hit the bit bucket automatically. The usual disclaimers about the dangers of self-join relationships apply here.

Hmm...using the delete related records option. Sounds like a viable option. I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up Vaughan.

This topic is 8593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.