Disappearing fields!

This topic is 6273 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working with a team of novice developers to create a new solution for our organization. We have each been working on a couple of files every day, and then backing up to a hard drive at night.

Things were going fairly smoothly, until I emailed a file to a coworker who wanted to add some calculations. When she emailed it back to me, the calc she added was nowhere to be found. I asked her about it, and she opened the file on her computer, only to find that the calc was not there either. Here's the kicker: the calc WAS in the external occurrance of the table she had in another database.

When she restarted filemaker, all traces of the calc were gone. What could have happened? Is emailing filemaker files a bad idea?

I am obviously concerned about corruption. Are there any diagnostics that we can run to determine if our db is corrupted? We have experienced unexpected crashes in a number of our databases- I don't want to put them up on the server if the crashes mean that there are corruption issues. Also, how can we possibly know if it is an issue of corrupted data or a structural problem...

We've run the file maintenance options and (unfortunately, apparently) "recover" on a couple of these files... are there other fm or third party options?

Thoughts? Advice? Help?!

Any reponse would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks very much!

Hello and welcome to the forums

Here is a link to info about corrupt files.

http://nyfmp.org/1/57

I would double check to see if she has a backup copy of the file on her computer. If she is going to her "Open Recent" files then she may be going to a backup inadvertently. She may have added the calcs to a different file. Just have her double check first.

I have never had an issue emailing a file so I do not think that should have effected it.

This topic is 6273 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.