Best Architecture for storing PDFs in container fields

FMJoelB

This topic is 6273 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In the solution that I am working on, I will be tracking alot of documentation. I have a fear of storing numerous PDFs in container fields in the application because it might bloat based on file size and become slow. Is there a trend in creating a separate file for storing graphics / pdfs / etc... that would be linked to a main file in order to keep from overloading the main file? What are some rules of thumb here?

I'm working on a DB that needs access to PDFs as well. For my solution, I'll be keeping the PDFs outside of the document so I can access without having to invoke FileMaker for updating.

For this purpose, I've decided that the best way is to use a web viewer with a file:///c:/location/file.pdf style URL. Works beautifully to view the files, but I'm having issues printing. It just doesn't.

Right now, I'm working on a windows platform and will be continuing to do so. I've received reprorts that printing PDFs through a Web Viewer works, and a rep tells me that it's supposed to work on the PC side of things.

Could you tell me if you can print a PDF through a web viewer as part of your layout on your PC side? This might be the solution for both our requirements.

This topic is 6273 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.