Universal and PowerPC runtime

Jalz

This topic is 6251 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

I'd like to produce a runtime demo of my product for my Mac users. I dont have a Mac at present and was thinking of purchasing a Intel Mac Mini. Can I use this to produce runtimes that will work on Macs that are based on PowerPC processors?

Cheers

I haven't tried to run an 8.5 runtime on my older PowerPC, but I'm almost positive that you can. "Universal", which is what 8.5 is, means it has the code for both Intel and PowerPC.

The only place where you'd run into problems would be with included plug-ins, which would need to be Universal also to work on the Intel machines; kind of the opposite situation to your question. Most popular plug-ins on Macs have a Universal version now.

You could download:

http://www.xslimmer.com/

...to see if your runtime is universal, and perhaps even make two distributions of them, if it could prove a point in storage place availiable on a pair of cd-roms, one for each.

That being said did I years back attemts to make sense of the things you can discover with resedit. Here must I caution, you can very easily tickle a runtime beyond repair even if, what you wish to change seems to be a dialog box - my aim was back then to avoid english error messages being presented for a danish audience.

I have no particular use for making runtimes any more - so I nearly never use these facilities...

--sd

I've done it the other way around, works fine.

Maybe some one here could do you a favour by making a runtime in Intel for you to test.

You could report your findings on the board for all to see - that's what I call a shared solution!

Whilst your on your way to owning a Mac consider an iMac with Parallels and install your copy of Windows, sell the PC and save some time and money. Think, 2 environments in one, hook up a second screen - perfect!

I just tried this with a runtime created by 8.5. It runs as Intel native on my iMac Intel and as PowerPC on my eMac. It was created on a PowerPC machine, but this would not make any difference. OK, I created another runtime on my Intel machine; it runs as Intel, and it also runs fine as PowerPC on the eMac. Universal works.

This topic is 6251 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.