Exporting found record set

This topic is 6220 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm a neewbie so forgive me if I don't give all the details on the first go-around.

I wrote a script that looks for a "Y" in a field that is called archive. My intentions are to take this found set and export the records to a new FM table. Can this be accomplished automatically? To be more specific can I create a table, fields, and export the find set from a script with little or no user interaction?

Yes all of this can be scripted. You can have it scripted to do the find and export the results out to a new FM7 file.

Enter find mode []

Set field [Archive; "Y"]

Perform Find []

Export Records [No Dialog; "Newfile.fp7"]

Do not forget to add in steps for error trapping.

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

Thanks. I'm starting to get the hang of the scripting. Staying with the same train of thought; can I use the contents of a field in my DB to name the export file? Do I need to reference this field as a variable?

Yes. There are plenty of thread on here regarding dynamically naming files.

Try doing a quick search for +filepath or +file +path and you should come across a few.

• Newbies

I'm still stuck. Maybe I'm missing something? I came across an example of using a variable for a filename while importing records. I tried to apply the same methodology for my export but I can't get it to work.

My variable name is being taken as a string in quotes.

example: "$archive" instead of $archive so I end up with a filename of $archive.fp7.

My work around is to uncheck perform "without dialog" and let the user specify their own filename.

If anyone has anymore ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help!

This topic is 6220 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.