Pop-up menu

Frasier13

This topic is 6216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there

I've been using FM now for about 2 years on and off mainly to produce databases primarily to manage my own projects and i'm self taught with no formal training.

This is what i'm trying to do.

I have two tables "JOBS" and "CONTACTS".

One of the fields in "CONTACTS" is "working status". This is a pop-up menu with a value list assigned to it with the following values:

• Make initial contact
  • Follow up
  • Not interested
  • Potential collaboration
  • Working together

In "JOBS" I want to create a pop-up menu of "CONTACTS" but I only want to list those that have a "working status" set to "Working together".

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

There are a few ways to do this. The first way would be to create a calculation field on contacts that is Case ( working status = "Working together"; ContactName ) and then you can take the value list from that.

Or, you can create a global field that you can set to store the data, "Working together" and then create a new relationship from this global field to the sorking status field. Then reference the ContactName field via this new relationship in your value list. This is my preferred method.

It's amazing how easy something is when your given a little direction (in this case the whole route). I have spend about 15 hours in total trying to figure out how to do that before I came on here to ask... so thank you very much. Took me less than 15 minutes in the end!!!!

Just for the record I opted for your first suggestion only because im still trying to get to grips with relationships and I just needed to get this up and running short term. However, I am going to set about doing your suggested way over the weekend.

Once again thanks very much.

Regards

This topic is 6216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.