Sign in to follow this  
videopuppy

Running a script when field is entered, how?

Hello,

Is there a way to run a script (FMP script) when a field has data entered into it? e.g. A customer is selected (using a KF field related to it's KP field), and when selected a script runs.

Thanks

Dave

Well give one of the myriad of plugs with event-trigging a stab of being put inside a native validation which always is evaluated true.

I have no use for such scripting, because I rely entirely on jointable free many2many relations, the native validation and autoenter with the "update..." function selected, in the defs.

Filemaker is different from SQL systems in having excellish calc'fields.

--sd

What do you actually want to DO? What does the script accomplish?

What I'm trying to accomplish is this.

I have two fields on my customers layout, 1 is a credit limit field and the other is invoice total.

I have a script that looks at both to see if the invoices total (billed and not yet paid) is greater than the credit limit and if so it pops up a dialog. I would like for this to run each time a customer is selected (from a pull down menu) for a new quote/invoice.

Thanks

Dave

It might be better to make the customer selector field a global field and add a button "New Invoice" next to this field. Then the script can validate the customer and display a dialog if the customer doesn't meet the credit rules.

When you select the customer?? I'm not sure I follow your work logic. If you're trying to prevent your users from creating a new invoice for an over-the-limit customer, you might try using a value list that only displays customers whose invoice totals are less than their limit.

Going out on a limb (that I am sure LaRetta will cut off behind me :) ), if you want to check whether the current invoice surpasses the client's limit, I think you could use a validation to pop up a message. Mind you, I'm not an expert on validation...

David