Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calculation text field problem

PTKen

This topic is 6216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello. I have a text field. I also have a calculation field whose result is the text of the text field. On my layout I display the calculation field so that the field can be scrolled, but not edited.

My problem is that I have noticed some fields that contain certain text that causes the calculation to give a numeric result instead of the text. For example, if the text field contains the following text:

Evaluate and optimize ICC profiles for the Creo EverSmart scanner (for scanning transparencies) to achieve the best possible visual match between monitor and transparency when viewed under ISO/DIS 12646:2002(E) conditions (Annex A section A.1).

then the calculation field displays:

However, if I click on the calculation field, the original text shows up until the field is no longer active.

I'm pretty sure it's the colon causing the problem, but I don't know how to solve it. Restricting the use of a colon is not an option as this will likely come up a lot. Any ideas around this?

No, I checked that. The calculation is a text result. I also didn't make it clear that most fields do display correctly, it's only ones with certain characters (I think the colon is part of the problem) that do not display properly.

When I copy your text and put it into a text field and then create a calc that references that with text result, it displays fine. However, if I change it to a number result, it will do exactly as you have described. It will display 126462002. When you click in the field it will show it all.

Have you tried creating a new text and calc field or new file to seeing if it does it there as well?

Are you on the latest patched version of 7?

Thank you for testing it. You were both correct, it was set as a number result. When I checked it, I checked the wrong table (I have a similar set of fields on another table with a similar name). Sorry for the noise and thanks again for the help.

Both? Uhmmm I dunno about you but I only saw 2 people in here... lol. :)

Just teasing ya. Glad that it worked out for you.

This topic is 6216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.