No limited on Create records?

This topic is 6176 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Heya all!

Question.

I want to not allow certain users with certain privelege sets to add records to a table under certain cirumstances.

In the Priveleges and Privelege sets under "Records" I can say YES/NO/LIMITED under the EDIT item but NOT under the CREATE item, there only yes/no exists.

Depending on a Global Variable I want to allow or disallow users to add entries into a Table (subrelation).

Any ideas how i can do this given that the LIMITED option isnt there? Should it be there? Is it a bug in 8,5?

thanks

Spongebob

Any ideas how i can do this given that the LIMITED option isnt there?

Yes. See below.

Should it be there?

Maybe. The team debated this back and forth during the run-up to the release of FileMaker Pro 7 where the new security model was introduced.

Is it a bug in 8,5?

Emphatically not.

You can control the creation of new records conditionally by having them created by script. Set the privilege bit to deny creation of records; yes that's right, to deny creation, and then create them by a script set to run with full access privileges. Use the script to test for whatever conditions you want to examine. If the user passes the test, proceed with the script. Otherwise, throw an error message and stop the process.

Steven

Ah!

That will not work for me as I want to restrict creating records via a portal. Guess I then haveto disallow that and place an "add" button next to the portal. So thanks that helped!

I have ANOTHER question.

I have a record with 700 fields.

I wanto restrict editing on 100 of the fields with a value in one field of the record. For example, when the field in the record is set to zero, you cannot edit the 100 fields. When it is set to 1 you can. I noted that on a Field level in the priveleges that cant be done either! In the "limited" you can only allow to view or modifiy but not specify a formula..

Can this be done in another way?

I do *not* for a billion reasons split this into two tables. That would cause alot of extra work in this case...

Best Wishes,

Spongebob

Edited by Guest

Also for the ever so hard working Filemaker Team:

I DO WANT to be able to control with a "limited" option who can create records...

for version 9?

Pretty pleeeeze?

:)

oh well..

any ideas on my other question?

I have a record with 700 fields.

I wanto restrict editing on 100 of the fields with a value in one field of the record. For example, when the field in the record is set to zero, you cannot edit the 100 fields. When it is set to 1 you can. I noted that on a Field level in the priveleges that cant be done either! In the "limited" you can only allow to view or modifiy but not specify a formula..

Can this be done in another way?

I do *not* for a billion reasons split this into two tables. That would cause alot of extra work in this case...

Thanx

The basic issue here is that you have 700 fields.

Take a look at field level validations in the Define fields options. That's how you do it. it will, I suppose, take more work to do that than it would to make a second table with a 1:1 relationship.

I recommend that you review the architecture and the data modeling of your system.

Steven

There's a tip here:

http://www.databasepros.com/FMPro?-DB=resources.fp5&-lay=cgi&-format=list.html&-FIND=+&resource_id=DBPros000761

...although you might have a fair amount of arguments against splitting your solution into tables, could this be one of them, this way would only have to change the autoenter'ish method into fewer fields.

--sd

This topic is 6176 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.