"copy record" script not working

This topic is 6205 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Are you using it for copying only some of the fields to a new record? The easiest way is to make a few Autoenters which updates and let them blank the field you desire empty after duping the record.

To make this happen only in some cirkumstances, make the autoenter conditional by using:

http://www.filemaker.com/help/FunctionsRef-261.html

This way will you not be urged to let the script turn to a layout where the desired fields are shown ...which probably is why you're having problems.

By and large isn't it professional to engage the users clipboard with inner database mechanics, and especially not now a days when there are several other ways to accomplish pretty much the same.

--sd

• Newbies

Søren,

Thanks for taking the time.

What I need is that the users through the web can have all fields on their excel sheets. Since IWP doesn't enable exporting, the second best thing for me is to let the users copy records to their excel sheets. Usually, copying one record at a time will suffice since they only need 1-3 records at a time.

The button is set to "copy records" but it doesn't perform the action on the web browser.

There is only one layout and it is set to full access to all.

I am logging in from the web as administrator, so privileges couldn't be the issue.

Strange.

There are some fields that are not on the layout (auto ID is one) - do you think it is the culprit?

Edited by Guest

The button is set to "copy records" but it doesn't perform the action on the web browser

Yes that's also my understanding of the things going on, there are web-compatability indicated when you look at:

http://www.filemaker.com/help/Script-Steps64.html

But if you take a look at page 648 in SEU Filemaker 8 - would you read:

In General, any action that interacts with another application, the file system, or the operating system is not posible via IWP[/quote

So there isn't not much more you can do than paste the stuff gathered with the command, in a field, and then let the user grap it via a plugin like:

http://autocopy.mozdev.org/documentation.html

--sd

• Newbies

Yeah, I figured as much but I didn't see the text you quoted. I got my clue from the following in the IWP manual:"...any script that modifies data should include the Commit Records/Requests step, because all data changes aren’t visible in the browser until the data is saved, or “submitted” to the server. This includes script steps such as Cut, Copy, Copy Record/Request, Copy All Records/Requests, and Paste."

Of course 'copy' doesn't naturally fit the description, but it is included nonetheless because in fact the FM team sees it only as an internal function, and thus akin to 'request and 'cut'.

Another case of gaps in the Technical Writing.

but it is included nonetheless because in fact the FM team sees it only as an internal function

Yes, and it's pretty bad actually ...commands like this are kept for legacy purposes only, say someone upgraded an old solution and have an urge to som ROI in a jif... but why turn into the list of allowed commands in IWP???

Used in native non IWP mode tampers it with what the user might have stached away in his/her clipboard, and it really a bad habit to use any of the layout dependant commands, exept perhaps Replace( but it even have it's snags to it, when it comes to multi user scenarios.

Another case of gaps in the Technical Writing

Such things happens, my guess is that no-one inside FMI ever have thought of Anchor Buoying the RG, this happens every day in unversity research, something occures but the fuller picture might occure way way later, and not nessersarily by the people who made the discovery.

--sd

This topic is 6205 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.