Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Portal information disappeared

Recommended Posts

I’m doing something wrong because my portal information went away after I changed a field to a calculation. Here is my set up:

Table A layout: a global field with a popup menu of values from Table D (shows the number of disease categories currently in Table D)

Table B: a calculation field as a text result that gives the same value as one of the possibilities in the popup menu based on a foreign key from Table D. Table B is a list of diseases, each assigned a disease category based on the foreign ID of the disease category chosen. The calculation is based on a relationship defined by the disease category ID, that uses the disease category name matching the ID.

I made a relationship between Table A and Table B through the global field and the calculation field.

In Table A, I wanted to see all the diseases under a particular disease category selected. I created the portal of Table B in Table A layout, selected the disease name field to be displayed. I thought all those records in the portal would be the records showing the calculated field matching the global field shown in the Table A layout (that is, all matching disease category records).

Nothings shows up.

It worked when I had the relationship set up with an ordinary text field in Table B. I changed to the calculated field to reflect changes made in Table D. For example, if I changed spelling on a disease category, it would change on all disease records with that disease category.

I looked on the help file, and it says I should be able to make a relationship using global fields and calculated fields.

I’m flummoxed. Any help would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A field has to be indexable, if it is used as a match field on the "child" side of a relationship. If it is a calculation field, it has to be stored in order to be indexable. A calculation that references fields in another table cannot be stored.

I am not sure I follow this correctly, but it seems both your relationships should be based on the disease category ID number (in Table D, this would be an auto-entered serial number). You don't need a category field in Table B - this data is fetched from the related record in Table D, and therefore always up-to-date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.