Server Maintenance This Week. ×

duplicate line items

birchtree

This topic is 8334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Perhaps the simplest way is to not use the blank portal line (allow creation of related records) as the method. Instead, create global fields for the data to be entered. In operation, the user fills out the global field and clicks and "Enter" button. The "Enter" button runs and external script in the related file which checks whatever needs to be checked and either creates a new records (which appears in the portal) or displays a message that the attempted entry is a duplicate.

-bd

You can also do this with a method called cross tab validation. I've seen the method in the book Scriptology as well as on www.databasepros.com, although I remember having difficulty finding it when I wanted it. Also try taking a look at www.fmfiles.com. I believe they have a similar, if not identical, sample file.

This question (or a similar problem) has come up a few times, so I might write a FAQ for it when I get time.

Chuck

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

Perhaps the simplest way is to not use the blank portal line (allow creation of related records) as the method. Instead, create global fields for the data to be entered. In operation, the user fills out the global field and clicks and "Enter" button. The "Enter" button runs and external script in the related file which checks whatever needs to be checked and either creates a new records (which appears in the portal) or displays a message that the attempted entry is a duplicate.

-bd

This topic is 8334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.