DDR found lacking

This topic is 6199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got a client with a weirdly designed FM 7 db that's got a lot of vestigal fields, scripts, value lists, and I'm trying to clean it up. I ran a DDR on it and started going through it, looking for loose ends to clean up.

But now I realize the DDR isn't as helpful as I originally thought. I can't use it to quickly delete value lists, because it doesn't show if any of the value lists are used in validation or as sort criteria. I can't use it to delete fields because it doesn't indicate whether a field is used in a calculation or not. Scripts don't indicate whether they're called by Custom Menus or not.

Sooo frustrating. The DDR is so close to being really useful for cleaning up this db. I know I can use the 'find' feature on my browser to search for some of the names of objects, but that's not very efficient, and what about the value list named 'Date'? That string probably appears 700 times in the DDR

//END RANT

I found it was easier just to purchase Inspector, as it does a pretty good job of looking for these types of dependencies. It's a little pricey, but if you spend a lot of time looking at other people's projects (or your own projects that you did a long time ago) it's worth the money.

There is a demo and a lite version that are either time or feature limited:

http://fmnexus.com/InspectorLite.html

This topic is 6199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.