Maintaining field order when exporting to Excel?

This topic is 6172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to export a series of fields to Excel in the same order in which they appear on my layout (which is, incidentally, also the order in which they appear in the define database window). However, Filemaker displays all fields alphabetically by name in the export dialog box.

I imagine that there has got to be an easier way to export a group of fields than picking through the alphabetized list and then pulling each out one by one, but I can't figure out how. Is there any way to get the export order to automatically match the existing field order?

Many thanks in advance.

In the Export dialog, you can choose to show the field list from the entire table. Fields in that list, are in the last sort order of the Define Database Fields list.

In general, if the export needs to be repeated, you should use a script to restore the export order.

What do you mean, 'in the last sort order of the Define Database Fields list'? In my Define Database window, the fields are all in the desired order, but once I get to the Export dialogue box they are all listed alphabetically. That's the problem - I have something like 300 fields and they are all listed alphabetically.

Does anyone know how to change the display so that the fields in the Export window are in the order in which they appear in the Define Database window? If so, I'd very much love to hear how. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 6172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.