FMS 5.5 on dual core/hyperthreading cpu - good or bad idea?

This topic is 6181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Quite recently I heard that FMS 5.5 on a computer with multiple processors/dual core/hyperthreading might be a bad idea. That this might cause unknown/weird problems.

Is this a known fact? Why would it cause a problem if that is so?

I personally have never run into any trouble that I could relate to such hardware with FMS 5.5, but I would appreciate any answer related to this.

Thanks!

Thanks for your answer! I think I have heard that before.

Not take advantage is not a problem for me. : The main problem is that some of my solutions are placed at "new" servers and that might be a problem? Hopefully not though. :

Thanks for your answer!

I assume you mean that I should look at filemakers website somewhere, but I can't find what I am looking for. Can you be more specific with a link perhaps?

This I did find:

"Q. Can I Install FileMaker Server 5.5 On A Dual Processor Computer?

A. Yes. You can install FileMaker Server 5.5 on a dual processor computer.

If the operating system fully supports multi-processing, FileMaker Server's multi-threading capabilities allows it to automatically benefit from multiple processors when they are present.

While FileMaker Server has always been able to benefit from multiple processors on Windows NT and 2000, FileMaker Server 5.5 now also benefits from multiple processors on Red Hat Linux and Mac OS X."

Link to knowledgebase

Thanks once again!

• Newbies

For me, FMP Unlimited 5.5 was very unstable until I disabled the second core of my dual core processor. I used the advanced options button on the boot.ini tab of msconfig.exe to enable only one of the cores, and have been completely stable ever since.

This topic is 6181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.