Field Validation with JavaScript

This topic is 8542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Folks

It's been talked about in the Forums before, but I never took any notice of it since it'd be a cold day in Queensland... I mean Hell when I'd use any of that new-fangled stuff.

Well, it's snowing.

I've just spent a day f*cking about with validation-by-calculation to work out that *I* cannot get it to work over the web. (I'm specifically working on modifying the Web Security databases to get a better web interface to them.)

What I would like to do is to:

1) validate that a field is not empty before submission

2) validate whether a field can or cannot be empty based on another field.

Hmmm the second item is a clear as mud. Here is the situation: The Web Security database -- specificallyb the Web Users_.fp3 ddatabase can have a special user name "All Users" that controls guest access. If the field "User Name" is "All Users" then a password is not required. If the User Name is anything else (it cannot be empty) then a password is required.

I have a sneeking suspicion that the space in the field name "User Name" is going to cause chaos with the JavaScript. I dunno whether it can be renamed, I'll have to try.

Thanks.

Vaughn,

You consider Javascript to be new fangled? Its been around for quite some time.

Anyway, i know my way around javascript fairly well. if you want any help writing some validation scripts i will be happy to help. I have written many for my Intranet site i am working on.

As for the space in the field names, it could cause a little bit of trouble, but there are ways around it.

also you might want to check out http://www.javascriptcity.com

They have a pretty decent forum and the people are friendly, and i always tend to get answer to questions that i have.

like i said i have quite a few validation scripts already written and would be happy to share them with you if you need them. afterall i have always been a html/javascript programmer first then a database programmer second and you guys in here have helped me through this filemaker thing more times than i can count.

DO I consider JS "new-fangled"... I still play black-vinyl records although I do admit that most of them are micro-groove *and* stereo! <grin>

I'll take you up on your offer of help. I'm developing a solution and I'm up to the "I know it can be done but do I want/need to do it?" stage.

Heartfelt thanks.

This topic is 8542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.