Is there a way to link layouts so changes are distributed throughout...???

angelleye

This topic is 6191 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have many instances where this would come in handy but I'll give one example.

I have a layout that everybody here has been using that displays all of a product's information on one screen. One particular peice of data displayed here is called Status (sold, returned, tech, rma, etc.) I actually have 2 status fields. One is a regular edit box and another is an calc. field that updates based on when that particular item has been added into an invoice. If the item hasn't been added to any invoices it uses whatever the regular Status field has.

The problem is that all of the sales people want to see the calc. field displayed on the layout. They never have to change the value of the Status field so it doesn't matter if it's a calc. and can't be edited. The warehouse people, though, do change the status of items quite frequently and do not like the fact that it can't be edited from this same place when it's a calc.

I could display both status fields, but that's just kind of ugly. So what I did was simply duplicated the layout. On the warehouse people's layout it uses the regular Status field as a drop down and on the sales layout it uses the calc. field that will show them which ones are sold.

Now, though, I have to maintain the 2 layouts separately even though they're exactly the same except for that one field. It'd be nice if I could link these 2 layouts together so that any changes I make to one would also change on the other so they continue to match exactly without having to make every change twice.

Does this exist? Any info would be great. Thanks!

I have to maintain the 2 layouts separately even though they're exactly the same except for that one field. It'd be nice if I could link these 2 layouts together so that any changes I make to one would also change on the other so they continue to match exactly without having to make every change twice

Why do you have to maintain two, when they are most likely to originate from the same table, there is no idea in having the field calc'field an an ordinary enterable in the other, when you just can turn access off for the field in the "nice2know" of them.

If you take a look at the sepatation model, then will you observe that the table just have to be in one of the files, since you can make a table occurence happen even if only it's referenced.

--sd

I'm having a difficult time understanding your response. The layouts do originate from the same table. The only problem is that there is one particular field that in order to display what it needs has to be an unstored calculation field. These fields cannot be edited (unless I'm missing something).

As such, my options are to include both fields on the same layout which is just rather ugly in my opinion. Many times both Status and StatusCalc have the same value. Only after the item has been added to an invoice does the value of StatusCalc differ from Status.

This change is the important thing for our sales people. It's not important for our warehouse people, though. The warehouse people simply want the field to say as it always has. Editable from this main layout.

So that one field is the only field that's different between the 2 layouts. Everything else is exactly the same. This way each group of people gets what they want while the layout(s) function the same as always for them.

The thing is, say I go in and now and simply move a button to a different location on the layout. If I don't go make that same change on the other layout then they no longer match and confusion begins to set in with my users.

Hi Drew

Since your layouts eminate from the same to's you might consider putting each field into a tab or portal and then depending on the login name or privilege set the layout up to display their particular requirement.

Search for 'invisibilty' and you should find samples of what I mean.

There is a sample file [color:red]here

It is not quite what you want but demonstrates the principle

HTH

Phil

Edited by Guest

But those don't fire unless you edit another field in that record or a field the calc. is based on. I need it to update instantly always.

I don't know why I didn't think about just adding tabs on the 1 layout. That would be better for this particular example than maintaining 2 layouts. I know I've wished for this ability with other things too, though. I'll have to post more examples as I come up with them.

This topic is 6191 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.