Email Form Letters

This topic is 6187 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've been looking for a way to create and send email form letters. Each time I've looked at an example or plug in, it's not really what I'm looking for. Is there something like this already available? I haven't had any success creating an email myself. I've created the layout I want, but there seems no way to get the "send mail" function to use the layout as an email. It would be terrific if FileMaker could easily create email form letters the same way it can create printable form letters.

If anyone knows how to do this with 8.5, I'd really appreciate a tutorial on how to accomplish it. Or I'd be interested in a quote for how much it would cost to develope something like this.

Mahalo, Kathy

There is currently no way to send a FM layout as an e-mail, other than as an attached pdf file, which is probably not what you want.

Some plug-ins allow FMP to generate html email messages, but this isn't "sending layouts" either. It's the best that can be done though.

• Newbies

Thanks for your post. I'm bummed it's not possible, but happy to know that I'm not as stupid as I thought I must be.... It sure seems that this would be a function within FM that would be highly desirable. It'd sure make my life easier, anyhow.

Thanks again,

Kathy

originally posted by Vaughan

There is currently no way to send a FM layout as an e-mail, other than as an attached pdf file, which is probably not what you want.

Some plug-ins allow FMP to generate html email messages, but this isn't "sending layouts" either. It's the best that can be done though.

Vaughan,

Can you elaborate on the plugins? We have a client that wants an auto-email sent when a certain condition is met. I'd be happy to find something that sends a document with the contents of a few fields in a form letter.

Attention Assistant,

The following changes have been made. We need new information on [File name].

[Field 1] [Field 2] [Field 3]...

Thank you,

Marketing Dept.

Can this be automated with a script button to produce and email a document, whether html or pdf?

Thanks!

On the plugin side, I had spent today looking at various email plugins. http://www.dacons.net has mail.it which converts the layout to an image and sends - works nice. The FM file is simple, some of the other brands provide a more robust template, as well as an email syntax check. The html template does allow insertion of fields into the body of html for a "mail merge".

SMTPit has a similar feature.

I really liked Fusion SendMail - very straight forward with html support.

You are welcome!

I edited my post regarding the bug -- no bug, its just that preview copy doesn't work with script debugger active ( I guess THAT is an FM bug).

Also, SMTPit has a similar feature that stores your layout image result in a container field; which could be handy. But frankly, I find their sample interface is too convoluted to look at for very long; so I haven't explored it thoroughly!

This topic is 6187 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.