Server Maintenance This Week. ×

unable to view all data

This topic is 6192 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have converted a text file to a FileMaker Pro 8.5 file. The file has over 3000 variables (columns) however I am only able to see the first 100 variables when in table layout. I've checked other layout forms and all of the data appears to be there, I just can't view it as a table.

Boss on my case.. help anyone??

Table view probably has a limit, and you've exceeded it.

Try this: from the View menu, choose View as List. See if that's better. If not, you'll need to create a Columnar List layout with all the fields on it. The Layout Wizard will walk you through the process.

Yep, table view has limit. But if you use List view, it will take forever to scroll through 3,000 fields (if you don't constrain to page width). I suggest you break those fields into logical chunks and display them on different layouts anyway.

Have you ever tried scrolling through over 1,000 fields? I have (not something I designed btw) ... it'll make you blind. By grouping in logical chunks first, it will also help you in organizing your migration needs. I do not believe ANY table should have that many fields. So use layouts to begin breaking the data into tables by displaying in your final table groups.

An easy approach is to first select and place ALL fields on Form layout (let FM create it). Then print only ONE record so you have the field names with an example of the data therein. Highlight or number them on paper by groups first then create your lists from there.

LaRetta

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6192 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.