Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help needed!!

This topic is 6176 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all !!

I'm new to filemaker, my quoestion follows, I developed simple database with picture container,is possible to put more images than one in a container? (I mean in one record?

Hi notlob, and welcome to the forum.

One image per container field.

You can put more than one copy of the field on the same layout, if you are trying to display the same image in different sizes.

HTH

Lee

Make a separate TO, and then a separate record for each image, and then create a relationship based on what makes them related (i.e. keywords, creator, date, etc.), and then you can have them display in a portal.

Take a look at the file that came with your FileMaker Application

FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced:English Extras:Templates:Home - Collections:Photo Catalog.fp7

HTH

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Hi Notlob,

I had the exact same problem and came up with a solution that looks impressive and I really enjoy.

I use Adobe Photoshop "Contact Sheet" function to create a jpg with all the images on one page arranged neatly into columns and rows (i.e. 6 or 8 images looks best, but I've put as many as 24 images onto a page). I then import this jpg, into a container field in my record.

Right now, I'm programming for a tape and still photo database. I need to show all the still photo images that exist on a particular CD.

If there are 12 images on the CD, I create 2 Contact Sheets, each containing 6 images. I put Contact Sheet #1 (which is a jpg) into Container Field #1 and I put Contact Sheet #2 into Container Field #2.

I love this solution. It's so powerful and easy. Photoshop grabs each of the photos in a folder and puts them into its Contact Sheet format automatically, so I don't have to arrange them into a document by hand.

Here are the steps in Photoshop in case you'd like to try this solution.

Photoshop:

Go to FILE menu

Select AUTOMATE

Select CONTACT SHEET II

The program will then ask you to select the folder your photos are in and how many images you'd like on a page. It has a graphic that shows how the images will look with different arrangements (i.e. 2 columns with 3 rows of images vs. 2 columns with 4 rows, etc).

A graphic artist at a major animation studio showed me this trick and I've used it ever since.

Good luck!

DB Gal

• Newbies

Hi Notlob,

I thought of 2 other solutions for your problem, which you may have already considered.

SOLUTION #1:

If you only need to show 10 images per record, why not put 10 container fields into your layout?

You can put the container fields into the main record in small fields that looks like thumbnails.

Make each thumbnail image / container field a button that links to a layout that contains only a very BIG version of the container field. Put a "BACK" button next to it takes you back to the original record layout with the 10 thumbnails.

If you don't know how to make graphic objects into

buttons, don't worry, they're very easy to do and you can post back and I or someone else will tell you how.

SOLUTION #2:

If you really want it to _look like_ the client is browsing through one image at a time from the same record layout, create 10 exact duplicates of the main record layout.

In Layout #1, put Container Field #1 with a "NEXT" button below it.

In Layout #2, put Container Field #2 with a "NEXT" button below it.

Continue along these lines... Layout #3 has Container Field #3, and so on...

Program the "NEXT" buttons to go to the next layout in the sequence (i.e. the "NEXT" button in Layout #1 goes to Layout #2, etc.).

You could also put "BACK" buttons under the images so the person can seem to toggle back and forth between images.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DB Gal

This topic is 6176 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.