Perform Find with multiple tables

This topic is 6180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I am having some issues trying to use the perform find function. I have tried to find information or a decent tutorial but I can't find anything that solves my problem.

I am trying to take records from a temp table (used for intermediate step in import) and check to see if there is a matching record in the main table. If there is a match, I might have to update/ignore the existing record. I have unique calculation fields that I use for the comparisons. The problem that I am having is that I can't figure out how to use the Perform Find criteria with a variable. I tried the following criteria but it takes the global variable as text.

Recruit Info::Duplicate == $$CurrentRecord

I have also tried entering find mode and doing the search that way but it looks like it would require me to switch back and forth between layouts to make sure that I am searching the correct table.

Is there anyway to get the perform find criteria to work with a variable (or even a field in another table)? If not, is there any way to select a table for use in a find without changing layouts constantly?

Thanks for the help,

Perryl7

I don't know if I like the temp table strategy or not, but deduping with a $ variable could borrow a trick or two from this template:

http://www.filemakerpros.com/Duplicatesv7.zip

or

http://www.filemakerpros.com/DUPNTH.zip

--sd

Those are great files for duplicate finding but they look like they only work in finding duplicates within the same table. That is where the problem with the temp table is, the duplicate checks won't work because I want to know if a temp record that I am attempting to transfer to the main table already has a record in that main recruit table.

Is there another method that you would recommend for importing the records? The reason the temp table exists is because some additional information for each record, specifically what their individual skill level is, might need to be added to each record as it is being brought into the main table. I am open for any suggestions on that.

Thanks again for the great duplicate ideas.

-Perryl7

Is there anyway to get the perform find criteria to work with a variable (or even a field in another table)?

Use Set Field while in Find Mode, like this:

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [ field ; $$variable ]

Perform Find[]

This topic is 6180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.