Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Stand Alone Versions

js22

This topic is 6203 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I have created a database and I am working on beta testing it among my co-workers. They do not have a license for using filemaker pro however. I recently came across a database called Mantis that could be downloaded in two different forms. One was for people who have filemaker and it allows them to change things. The other is a stand alone version that runs independent of filemaker.

How do you create this stand alone version. The people testing the database don't need to make changes so that doesn't bother me. I just need something that will allow them to have full functionality of the database without owning filemaker.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

js22

What you need to create is called a FileMaker Runtime file.

You need to have a copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced in order to create Runtime files and it must be created on the platform that you will be running the final Runtime on. This means that you will need both a Mac version and Windows version if you need to test on both platforms.

If you buy Filemaker Pro Advanced you will get both the Mac and Win versions on the CD, so you don't have to buy it twice. Make sure you take a look at the documentation to learn which features of filemaker pro are absent from runtimes.

Of course the runtime cannot modify the schema, but there are other limitations... the runtime is not networkable, and cannot use pdf creation tools in fmp 8.5. ActiveX is not available in runtimes but I'm not sure about Applescript. There are many other differences, but I can't remember them all right now.

This topic is 6203 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.