image not getting saved

edmonton

This topic is 6175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I am not sure if this problem should go here or not. This is my case. I have a container field (g_graphic) that is defined as a repetition field from 1 thru 50 and is also a global field. This field holds all the images that are being used in the system. I added one image in g_graphic[40] ie, in 40th repetition. In browse mode, I clicked on the field, then clicked insert->Picture and then selected the graphic file.

Everything works fine after that till I close FMP file. the image does not get stored in that field. When I reopen the file, the image is gone. Please help as I really need to get this image in there. I also tried creating a regular contained field with no repetitions and it still does the same thing.

Thanx

"I have a container field (g_graphic) that is defined as a repetition field from 1 thru 50 and is also a global field... till I close FMP file. The image does not get stored in that field."

The "problem" is that the field is set to global storage, though it's not really a problem because it's expected, documented behaviour.

You need a preferences table to store the graphics. Search the Forums for more how-to info, this topic comes up regularly.

Hi edmonton.

As Vaughan says, this is expected behaviour... with hosted files.

The way a global behaves when its not hosted i.e. you just open the file with FileMaker:

It will store whatever value you put in there and retain it.

The way a global behaves when its hosted i.e. you open via open remote...

It initiates with the value it had last when it was last modified in a non hosted form. Any thing you do to change this global will simply be reset the next time you open it.

Essentially, if you want the change to stick, take the file off the server, add your new image, then chuck it back on the server.

As Vaughan also says though, its probably better to just store the images in a related table.

Thankyou all for your replies. Yes, the files I am working on are hosted files so that must be the problem. I will unhost the files and rehost them again since we want to keep that repeating field for storing images and I do not want to create new field.

Thanx again for your help...

This topic is 6175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.