Server Maintenance This Week. ×

More dictionaries

This topic is 6175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I wonder if anyone have an idea on how to add more dictionaries for spelling, in my case I need Norwegian spelling and it is not supported as standard.

There are several open source dictionaries available, so maybe a way could be found to compile one into Filemaker's format.

Cheers,

Andreas

I still have'nt found a solution to this, but I'd thought I'd share my efforts so far.

I found a Norwegian spelling file on my Filemaker 4.1 disk, which was the latest version to be translated to Norwegian.

However this dictionary only works up to version 6. From FM 7 onwards the file is ignored and does not even show up in the dictionary selector.

The format has not changed and the new dictionaries can be used with the old versions of FM. Just not the other way around.

Even substituting the contents of another dictionary with mine does not work, even though it is then listed in the selector.

(This produces an error when the program tries to use the dictionary.)

So it seems that the choice of dictionaries are hard coded into Filemaker, as well as checksums for each language. (or some other means of validation)

Seems Filemaker inc. went to a lot of trouble to prohibit the use of additional dictionaries, even their own ones. I wonder why.

If anyone has any ideas on how to address this issue, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Andreas

This topic is 6175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.