Highlight Changes

nickklight

This topic is 6119 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello

I am stuck on finding a way to highlight changes. I have a database that changes often and every once and a while I need to write out a report detailing the changes.

What I have currently been doing is just changing the text color on the fly so that it is red. It is extreamly time consuming but better than having to compare two whole copies of a printed database. I have been racking my brain to try and find a way so that filemaker can do it automatically. I want everything that I change to turn red and then when I hit a button everything returns to it's original color.

I tried an Idea with duplicate fields for each record/field that kept track of the modification timestamp and then compaired it to a global varible with a script button that reset the date. Needless to say it got real messy, never really worked and I abandoned the idea.

I have seen the conditional formating in 9 and would be willing to splurge for it if it will solve my problem. However I don't want to spend of money if it will just cause the same headaches.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appriciated

Nick

PS I am new to the forum and absolutly love it!

I have managed to get this working using v9 and conditional formatting.

The solution contains 2 fields: "Data" and "Flag".

Flag monitors the contents of data through the use of an auto-enter calculation and it will change from a 0 to a 1 if Data is changed. Data has a Conditional formatting formula that checks to see if Flag = 1, if it is, the contents of Data will be displayed in Red.

I tried to get it working under 8.5 just using auto-enter calcs on both the flag field and the data field but have not been able to work the kinks out of it.

AutoHiliteTest.zip

This topic is 6119 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.