Just a stupid contact log

This topic is 6098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My brain is ready to explode. I have a datbase for case management, and I want each client record to have a contact log. I have created a table "contact" which contains these fields: Date, Notes, Type of Contact, clientid_pk. I have linked my clientid_pk to the contact_fk serial numbers under relationships. I want to be able to go from my main client layout to my contact layout, where I can enter and review dated notes for just that client. I have no clue what I am missing - I've tried several things and just can't think this one through. Any advice would be a tremendous help to my sanity.

Well sounds like you hvae 2 choices.

1) Place a portal that displays the child records in the parent record file using the relationship you have set up.

2) Use a GTRR(Go To Related Records) script to go straight to the Child records so you can view them there.

Let me know if you need more details.

Michael

I have created a table "contact" which contains these fields: Date, Notes, Type of Contact, clientid_pk.

I have linked my clientid_pk to the contact_fk serial numbers under relationships. I want to be able to go from my main client layout to my contact layout, where I can enter and review dated notes for just that client.

I understand that your relationship is this:

Client::clientid_pk = Contacts::contact_fk

Is this a self relationship or do you have two separate tables in this scenerio?

If you want to keep all the data in the same table, you could have fields designed just for inputting data, and then move that data to a single history field and make sure it is formatted and date/time stamped.

Otherwise I would suggest that you have a new table to contain your contact information. You would then make sure that the relationship is setup to allow you to create records in the Contacts table from the Clients table.

Then you could just use a portal in the clients table to view the contents of the Contacts table and you could directly add new records to the contacts via the portal.

Ahh, I know I am missing things because I am am completely learning as I go. Client and Contacts are 2 seperate tables, and I have done the portal but I do not know how to make new records from the portal or how to scroll/view all the contact records through the portal. It asks me how many lines for the portal, but won't that make a very long page? I am trying to set the portal on a tab field, is that messing me up? Ready to send someone flowers here.... thanks, Tia

This topic is 6098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.