Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mapping fields

This topic is 6120 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am creating an import between two files hosted remotely. I have got my fields to map correctly whilst importing records. I will no doubt be making changes to both the source file as well as the target file by adding new fields. If I add new fields, FileMaker naturally tries to map it against a blank field. Is there a way to stop new fields being added in the database to appear in a import dialog box.

You would need to manage the mapping of your import as S.O.P. when you change your schema so that you can be confident that it will "always" be as you intend, when you deploy your solution.

Thanks Ocean,

Ive decided that setfield in a related file is the way to go at the moment, as SOP would take quite a while on our system here as we are constantly making changes to the schema.

Edited by Guest

The import mapping won't change for existing fields just by adding new fields to either source or destination. But if you delete fields in either source or destination, the mapping for fields later in the creation order will shift up.

In general, when doing major work on a module, I'd recommend doing that work in an offline copy. Then when it's done, move the active records into the new version.

This topic is 6120 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.