Transpose portal view

Jarvis

This topic is 6200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure where to post this so I thought I would start here.

I'm trying to produce a layout that shows field names in a column and record values in a grid, similar to a spreadsheet.

The attached Jpeg shows what I want it to look like.

Is there a way to do this from a portal view?

Thanks,

Jarvis

Grid.zip

Hi Fenton,

The columns with text are field labels:

The values with numerals are cabinet numbers (record values).

What I am essentially trying to do is produce a Table View except that I want the field names to array in a column on the left and the values to array in a spreadsheet-like format to the right of the field value column.

Any ideas how to do this?

Jarvis

This is not easy to do in FileMaker. FileMaker is not a spreadsheet. What you are basically asking it to do is transpose, turn everything 90%. FileMaker does not have such a command; it goes against its basic structure; it is a logical structure, not a "positioned" structure like a spreadsheet. You cannot just "switch" its records (rows) and fields (columns). So you have to create an artificial structure that will allow to show things that way. It's hard to explain.

Take a look at this site for a method using repetitions.

http://edoshin.skeletonkey.com/2006/12/crosstab_report.html

Otherwise it can be done relationally also. But that means a relationship for each column. You still haven't told us what your records really are. I know that you'll put text labels in the header, but what? "Cabinet numbers" is still a little vague to me as a description of records.

Do you want a column for every single record? If not, then how do you want to "group" the results for columns? What is the concept of what you want to do?

But that means a relationship for each column

Why not just one and an extra TO sanwiched in between:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/176396/post/204083/hl//fromsearch/1/

...the problem with multiple relations is, that they are getting slower by the number of them.

No - just cut the portal up and rearrange the portalrows in layout mode.

FileMaker is not a spreadsheet

What is this, have spreadsheets been over-drilled, in the american schools ...we're indeed been getting our fair share of this assumption lately???

--sd

This topic is 6200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.