Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Summary file from multiple files

This topic is 6264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All...

I want to summarize calculation results from 10 different filemaker 8 files into one Summary File. Each of the 10 files has 500 calculation fields. I have successfully made the Summary File through relationships and calculations to add the major fileds and summarize them on to one sheet in my summary file. But I can't store the fields in my summary file because they reference calculations in other files. This makes the Summary File very heavy and slow to give results (up to 2 minutes waiting). My computer is fast and has plenty of RAM so its not a problem with the computer. It must be in the way I calculate the results. Any ideas???

Gersam

Edited by Guest

Sounds like time for a redesign. It is hard to imagine a case where you would need that many fields. Maybe you should describe the file structure. You're probably making life far too difficult for yourself.

It is hard to imagine a case where you would need that many fields

Just the bare thought of giving all these fields relevant names seems an almost daunting task...

Never the less is spreadsheet-o-holics almost always the issue in the files people send me "slow as molasses" files off forum, often are fields repeated with postfixes, such as Address1, Address2, Address3 ... yikes!!!!

I'm therefore trying to figure out some sort of a fields per table ratio - as a rule of thumb,, and It's seems so that I rarely ever exceeds 20 fields, but usually just uses 6-8 fields in which, two of them could be summary fields ...perhaps 3-4 are calc'fields.

Earlier on did we have tunneling of related fields values, from more than a relation away. These will survive the migration, but should be weeded away ASAP ...since they hardly ever makes sense any more (I can only think of one exception here??)

--sd

This topic is 6264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.