Sharing configuration

This topic is 6084 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

From my time here at this forum, I've learned that the fastest way to make a FileMaker expert faint is to tell them that you have a database stored on a server and each user is opening it individually.

So I won't admit that it happens here in my office. : But IF it were, I'd be repentant and want to change.

Our (hypothetical) challenge is that our file server runs Linux. So installing a copy of FileMaker there that other people can open remotely from doesn't appear to be an option.

Half of the other computers in the office are laptops, so the files can't be served from there as they go in and out of the office. The others are used very regularly, and I'm afraid that we would not get good performance since the CPU will be working on all kinds of other tasks. Plus, I expect that those users would be complaining about the program taking up valuable task bar space.

What would you recommend for us? Keep in mind that because (*knock on wood*) nothing bad has happened in the several years we've had this set up, it will be difficult convincing the higher ups to shell out for much more.

Acquire another computer to be a dedicated server. If your data is important, make this a priority. If you're worried about the cost of a new computer, it's really not that hard to find a suitable used computer, but then you'll probably just have to replace it sooner.

Piggybacking on what Ender said, a dedicated computer is indeed what you are looking for. Many people start off with a small server to host their data. However, there are many of those that take their hardware for granted or do not even use a server. In the end, I guess you have to ask yourself... How much is your data worth or not worth. Is the data loss or integrity worth the cost of what it would have taken to purchase the right tools.

Thanks for your responses Ender and Mr_vodka. I've spoken with the higher ups and I think I've managed to get them on board with spending a bit to make sure our data is safe.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that FileMaker doesn't like documents that aren't stored locally? If only one person is in the file (ie, no sharing/hosting happening), I'm curious about what goes haywire.

I think until we can get a good system in place, I'll set up a script that will automatically move a copy of our databases into a second folder each evening. That way, if something were to happen, I'd only have to roll back to the beginning of the day.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that FileMaker doesn't like documents that aren't stored locally?

I dont know what you mean by this statement.

I think until we can get a good system in place, I'll set up a script that will automatically move a copy of our databases into a second folder each evening. That way, if something were to happen, I'd only have to roll back to the beginning of the day.

When you do get your new server, get FM Server as well. It has timed backup capabilities.

Also if you do intend on making a backup every night still using Peer to peer, make sure that the file is closed and that nobody is in it. : Get FM Server. You will be much happier that you did.

I dont know what you mean by this statement.

I meant locally in the sense that they aren't documents that are on a shared network drive. I'm having trouble grasping *why* the data might be corrupted if there is a single user accessing a document shared via the OS.

When you do get your new server, get FM Server as well. It has timed backup capabilities.

As we only have 4 users, I think that FM Server might be overkill at this point in our usage. Backup capabilities are nice, but our programmer can also throw together a quick Python script that will handle the backups for free. :

We've actually never had two users in the database at the same time up until yesterday. We just left sharing off and the file would be "locked for editing" if anyone else tried to get in. Now that we're thinking about using the databases in a shared situation, I want to step up our safeguards against corruption.

You know that if you copy a live FileMaker file you are certainly risking corruption. I believe the only safe method when not using Server is for the host machine to use Save a Copy As when everyone else is out of the file, or duplicate the files when it is closed (really closed).

"I'm having trouble grasping *why* the data might be corrupted if there is a single user accessing a document shared via the OS."

The data is travelling through the network. Any network noise or "blip" could cause incorrect data to be written. Wireless networks are notoriously bad. Like, don't use them for databases.

Communications across the network is also very slow compared to having the file the local hard disk. FM Server optimises the network traffic by performing many data-intensive tasks on the server.

This topic is 6084 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.