Windows & Mac Runtime - Same DB... ?? HELP please...

delta1

This topic is 6111 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Well this is my first post here... hope someone can help me with this issue... 'tis drivin' me crazy.

Ok, I have developed a Solution for my small business... the FM solution works just fine... now I have two offices... one has a MAC (my main office) and the other place has, unfortunately a windows notebook (at the moment I have to stick with that... yuck).

I made a runtime on my mac, and used a Windows based Filemaker Version (same version) to make a windows runtime of the same Database Solution.

so far, so good... the windows runtime works and so does the mac one. however I want the two versions to sit in the same directory on a USB Memory stick or on the LAN... no problem, that works too... besides a small minor, but all important thing: THE DATABASE... (the .USR File)...

I give it the same "key" and everything else...

but whenever I try to start the windows runtime (I use the MAC .USR File) the runtime says it can not open the file as it does not belong to the same solution (sorry it's a rough translation from a german error-message).

no matter what I try (manually open) I can not bring the runtime to use the same database on both OS X and Windows (XP) ...

now where's the sense in having a runtime on windows and on mac with different data sources? none.

sure I could sign up for one of those 20$/month filemaker servers... but that's not what I want.

is it possible to solve that issue??

thanks for your help

Daniel

or on the LAN.

Just reread your post and caught this. You do know that runtimes are not multi-user, right? They cannot be shared by more than one user at a time, even if you put them in a shared directory.

Make a dummy Main File containing just asSplash screen and a script to open the real database in a common folder. This should work if you are using the same binding key and the win /mac Filemaker runtimes reside on the stick also.

[folder FM MacRuntime]

[folder FM WinRuntime]

[common FileMaker related Databases]

This setup -may- require manually changing the file references after binding using a full version of FileMaker, since building a runtime copies all related databases to the runtime folder.

AND - When binding the Win platform, make sure you are binding the files already bound with theMac platform, not the original unbound sources.

Still you can only use one platform at a time. Runtime Apps have no networking capabilities (except Pre-Filemaker 4.1)

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6111 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.