Selecting network interface FM5

This topic is 6063 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, first post.

Question: Is there any way to tell FileMaker Pro 5 which local network connection to use for sharing?

Problem description: We're using a copy of File Maker Pro 5 to share a couple of databases. FM5 is run (first) on the server so it will share the file with other computers. Worked fine until we installed a VPN on the server, so the server now has 2 LAN interfaces. It is apparently attaching to the VPN interface and ignoring the physical network interface. If I disable the VPN interface it works. So can I tell it to ignore the VPN interface and use only the "real" one?

The VPN is hamachi with 5.x.x.x address. The physical interface has a 192.168.1.x address.

This is a public sector agency with a tight budget so upgrading to a newer server version isn't really an option.

Thanks.

The basic answer to your question is, I think, no. IIRC, and I might not, there was a way to do this with Server 5.5.

Small agency or not, these folks need to give a serious look at getting themselves upgraded. Check with your FMI Inside Sales Rep for any specials.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem with Filemaker 8.5

So it is not a problem of version 5 only.

I am trying to find a way to "make" Filemaker bind to the physical IP address instead of the VPN IP address.

Any new information will be appreciated.

Although there is a place in Windows where you can assign an "order" (or priority?) in which network services bind to which adapters, I "moved down" the VPN interface in the order list but did not helped. This can be found if you go to Network Connections, then go to the Advanced menu and select Advanced Settings. There you can see a Connectios (adapters) list and a Bindings list at the bottom that shows the stuff (protocols) that are working for the selected connection (or adapter). Apparently Filemaker doesn't follow these rules.

I think what I am going to end up doing is sharing the file in another internal computer (with no VPN interface) and configure my firewall software on the internet computer to re-direct for the internal computer when going for the Filemaker port. As soon as I complete my test, I hope to post the result.

This topic is 6063 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.