Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Purchase Options

This topic is 6098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking at rolling out the database i am developing within our business. I am looking at the best way to do this. I have a few questions...

*Seat Rental-Has anyone come across this my boss mentioned it as a possiblity. Personally i don't see the benefits.

*Pro V Advnaced-I want to use the features within advnaced for development and maintanence. Plus the tooltip/menus. But does this also mean i have to use advanced for all my users seats so they can utilise these features?? Or will pro cover this?

*Server options-i am thinking of leaning more towards advnaced as i am the type of guy that likes to have options for expansion. And if i did need a feature offered in advance i would like to utilize it without upgrading and all the issues that come with it.

any insight on these points would be helpful as.

thankyou.

Brendan

Edited by Guest

To "roll out" the database at your business, you need:

1) a license of FileMaker Pro on each user's computer;

2) a dedicated computer running FileMaker Server to host the databases.

Only the developer of the databases needs a copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced (it's not essential) while all other people use the vanilla FMP client software.

FileMaker has several different licensing schemes, depending on the number that are needed. In the end, the cost of FileMaker Pro licenses is only a tiny part of the overall expense, especially when compared to other database software.

If you are using FM Server 9, you only need the "Advanced" version for ODBC/JDBC database connectivity or Instant Web Publishing capabilities, which I'd suggest you do not. As you say, it's always available as an add-on anyway.

This topic is 6098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.