Using "OR" Table Relationships

jbruett

This topic is 6163 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey everyone, I have a lot of background with MSSQL and I am missing something that should be fairly basic with regards to table relationships. Using the below picture as reference is there no way to do the following?

FEE::LoanOfficer_Branch = fee_emp_vl_LoanOfficer::Job Title

OR FEE::BranchMananger = fee_emp_vl_LoanOfficer::Job Title

AND Branch = Branch

med_1189609741-Relationships.jpg

Relationships.jpg

• Newbies

Soren, Although I think what you sent me works, I am totally new with filemaker and don't understand some of the advanced query/database definition techniques that you are using...can you give me a bit more dumbed down version? Also I see that both the examples that you give in your link return into portals, I need the list to show up in a dropdown...I think that this is as easy as assigning a different field type.

Edited by Guest

Portal or drop down, it does largely depend on how live the stuff is you wish to show in the dropdown, only stored fields can be displayed over a dynamic valuelist, so if you ave some sort of aggregate functins working with your data - are you bound to a portalfull of clickables.

Otherwise is it smooth sailing, design yourself a dynamic valuelist with the relations I made in my first template. But it occures to me that what you wish to optain might be something like this:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attid/3285/

--sd

I can't believe that there isn't an OR feature in the relationship management

Well it arrived pretty late in the course of event's ....earlier on were we used to permutations over Davids appoach, more or less everything you have in the present relations def. dialog could be done via concatenated combinations of keys.

The most famous is probably Edoshins SmartRanges:

http://www.onegasoft.com/tools/smartranges/index.shtml

Simply because we can exploit the unique feature calc'fields actually is compared to other RDBRS's... could we make all kinds of relational links via hashing algorithms.

Beyond that should someone accustomed to the math of sets, be no stranger to DeMorgans Law!

--sd

This topic is 6163 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.