Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Phone Dialer set up on winXP & VoiP # 2

This topic is 6183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The original post obviously is in cyber heaven.

Here's the problem. I am trying to set up phone dialer to work with Vonage. I have called their tech support and they don't even know what FileMaker is so they were no help. I tried routing a phone line from my computer modem to my phone. No effect. I then tried routing the line directly to the Vonage router. Still nothing. I also tried to run the line thru my Fax machine to no avail. I noticed a choice of "Internet Connection: H 323 Line." But, quite honestly, what I have found online does not make sense to me.

Has anyone set up a phone dialer? Any help or direction is appreciated. Can anyone recommend any white papers?

TIA.

Al

Filemaker will use whatever the defualt phone dialer is on windows. So, set-up the phone-dialer app on xp to use vonage. You may have to look for your dialer (Start menu ->, Run ->, Dialer.exe)

Remember filemaker can only send requests to the dialer. (It doesn't have any good way to check the status of your dialer. And results from it are next to impossible.)

I would call back vonage, DO NOT even mention filemaker. Get them to talk you thru how to setup vonage on your computer, either using the existing dialer or they may have a custom one. As long as the dialer is TAPI compliant and is the default on the system, the dial script step in filemaker will request that the "Tapi dialer" dials the string sent by filemaker. This issue is not really a filemaker issue, rather an OS level issue.

After several hours and many machinations I finally got it to work. Here's what I did:

Use a one line to two line splitter. Plug the splitter into the Vonage router. One line goes into your computer modem and the other goes to your phone. When you click the dialer button, you can chose "without dialog", a dialog box shows the number to dial. You click Ok and then Dialer.exe dials the number. Another dialog box pops up with two choices. "Talk" or "Hang Up." Simultaneously, you will hear the phone ring thru your computer speakers. Press down the line button on your phone and lift the receiver, then click talk and your line is connected. DON'T click "Talk" first. This will disconnect the call. It is now working as I wanted it.

Of course I'm sure I'll be tweaking it for days/weeks. ???

Thanks for your input.

Al

Many modems have two phone jacks.(One to wall/vonage, one to telephone) If yours does, throw away the splitter, plug modem into vonage router, and Phone into modem. There are settings that you can set to either use your telephone handset or your computer speakers and Mic. Clicking "talk" will pick up the line, "hangup" will hang it up, and if you are using the handset it will not disconnect until the handset in hungup. (behavior can vary but not by much)

This topic is 6183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.