Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Script Condition: identify current web user

emilia

This topic is 6179 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I just started with IWP on FM 8.5 but I am stucked over the simple(?) process how to identify a certain user when logged in from the web? The goal is to have user specific layouts for different entry forms.

The function Get(Username) and Get(AccountName) do only replicate the status of the FM database on the server. Even the trick described in the Manual "Use Get(ApplicationVersion)" never reveals whether a user accesses from the Web or directly.

Is there no option to identify the current web user?

Thanks, Emilia

I just created a non-stored calc field in a shared database and had it on a default layout.

Calc was simply: Get ( ApplicationVersion )

It shows obvious differences between IWP & local client connections....

I'm not sure what is not working for you?

• Newbies

Ok, I discovered an error with the target field of "Get(applicationVersion)" which has to be text rather than number :crazy2: Now I get "Filemaker Web" which is as expected, thanks!

However Get(Username) and Get(Account) are not web-compatible as just realised :)

so there is no way to identify a user...?

I just tried an un-stored calc field (Get(AccountName)) on my default layout and logged in as a user on the shared database and the field accurately held the account name of the logged-in user, as expected.

Verify text field as you did before, and try an un-stored field value in case you're having a current-data refresh issue (I run into them occasionally, especially on fields like this that can change for each user)

• Newbies

Thanks for the try which convinced me that the error might be on my side - it turned out to be a too restrictive access privileges for the user account. After I corrected that both Get(AccountName) and Get(username) provide the expected result. Interesting though that these functions are marked as non web-compatible..

Thanks, emilia

This topic is 6179 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.