Server Maintenance This Week. ×

tabs and layout parts

This topic is 6032 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I think I might be headed down a rabbit hole.

Finally I am rebuilding a DB that started in v4 and has grown into 11 different files, combining tables where appropriate and generally cleaning things up. And the tab object seems like a home run.

Problem is that tab occurrences all share the same layout parts- right? Is there a way for different tabs to have different layout parts [subsummary needed, for example]?

If not, am I stuck with using buttons and making them look like tabs? or am I missing an opportunity here?

Edited by Guest

A layout has parts, and each part can have tab controls. You could place a tab control in each part, and switch them all together using a script, if you so wanted. It doesn't make much sense to do this for printed reports, though.

In any case, you cannot put an entire part in a tab control. And it wouldn't work for for a sub-summary anyway, since sub-summary parts are only visible in Preview mode - and you cannot switch tab panels in Preview mode. If you don't want a sub-summary to appear, don't include its breakfield in the sort order.

thanks. I think I am trying to use a screwdriver to drive a hex bolt.

but the tab notion is so darn appealing…

Basically I have to look at the same simple data a million ways. It's a lit of plants, and I need a plant list, bid forms, bid with unit prices, plant list by type…you get the idea, and that's why the summary fields are important.

It's just SO clunky, the way it is now; I find myself using any layout as a find form, and that's not the way I want it to operate.

Some thinking is called for here, looks like.

Thanks.

This topic is 6032 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.