Remote access issues

This topic is 6054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Ive been using Filemaker server 8 to host files to users over a local area network for some time with no problems. I have recently come to want to access these files from home when I'm not at work but am having a heck of a time getting it to work or finding any helpful info. If I'm on the local network in the office and go to open remote put in the local network addy 192.168.0... I can access the files fine but if I go to open remote and to favorite hosts and put in the IP addy no files show up. Im behind a router and the IP address is not static. I have 5003 open and Im lost as to what is needed to set this up. At first I was thinking I needed to have Server Advanced to do this but I have recently been told this is not the case.. Any help is greatly appreciated as Im completely lost.

When you are "remote" you must use the PUBLIC IP address (for your office) and your OFFICE router must be configured to forward traffic for port 5003 to the local FM Server. Merely having it "open" won't suffice.

Another alternative is to enable a VPN connection, however you must still use the office public IP address to make the VPN, then you can "see" the local FM Server in the local hosts.

Your HOME setup is irrelevant and I would suggest you do not have 5003 open.

This topic is 6054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.