Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Inexpensive upgrade solution

Say Cheese

This topic is 6178 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have 3 databases in FM 5 system 9 on my Mac. Since system 9 is no more as Mac is now in system 10, I must upgrade my databases into system 10 which means I must buy a newer version of FM. Are there any other cheaper solutions to upgrade my databases besides buying the new FM? I use it as a address book for my clients and a catalog for my stock photos. For me $300 for an address book and catalog is a bit expensive. I just want these databases updated so I can use them in system 10. I do not care about the other features in FM.

Second question, If I must purchase the new version of FM is there any easy & simple way, for my stock photography catalog, that I can find how much money each images has made? I already have the purchase amounts of each image.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

You do not say which exact version of FMP you have.

If you have FMP 5.5 or FMP 6, both run on OSX. Also, your CD is multi platform. So just move the .fp5 files to the new machine and install FMP in OSX on that machine. You are done.

IF you are on FMP 5.0, you will not be able to do that as it does not run native on OSX.

If that is the case, you have a couple of options:

1. Go to eBay and get a copy of FMP 5.5 or FMP6. If you already havbe FMP5.0, you may even be able to find an upgrade version.

2. Get someone with FMP 5.5 or 6 developer to take your original files and bind them into a runtime for OS X. Then use the runtimeon your new machine.

3. If you have an OS X machine that also supports OS 9, you could run it in classic mode. This will not work with newer machines.

Note that purchasing FMP 9 and converting the files would bring them right up to date. However, converting .fp5 file to .fp7 files is not straight forward as it was in previous versions. Plus you would have the expense you do not want.

Hope this gives you some options.

Dave McQueen :bigshades: ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I have my stock photography in a database of approx 1600 photos. All photos have the total amount of money that they have made. Some $0 some more. Is there a simple way that I can make the database tell me what photos have made the most money? Prehaps a list from most money made to the least. Thanks. I appreciate any help you can give me.

This topic is 6178 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.