Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Apply Current layout's data formatting to exported data

Digital Life

This topic is 6144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout on which all fields are entered as upper case ie) the caps lock key was on while all of the address and contact info was entered.

But one field, 'Salutation', is formatted as Title case and appears as desired with the first letter upper case and all others lower case.

When I export I click on "Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data". But the 'Salutation' field gets exported as all UPPER CASE.

This is on Mac to a tab delimited text file.

My question is, is this a bug?

Here's what it says in 'Help':

"If necessary, select Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data to format field data as it appears on the current layout.

FileMaker Pro allows you to format fields on a layout, which makes the data look different on the layout than how it is actually stored in the database file. (For more information, see Formatting and setting up field objects in Layout mode.) Select Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data when you want to export number, date, and time data using the field formats specified on the current layout. Clear this option to export number, date, and time data exactly as it is stored in the field. (If you're exporting to SYLK, DBF, or DIF format, this option is not available.)"

So it seems to me that it is a bug because the field is formatted to be Title Case, it appears in Title case but it does not export it applying that format.

Well, there's formatting and then there's formatting. Unfortunately, Filemaker does not always always make the distinction between formatting and styling. But if you read more carefully the section you have quoted, you'll see that it applies to number, date, and time formatting. So if you format your date to display as "Monday, November 5, 2007" and your number as currency, that's how they will be exported.

Style applied to a text cannot be exported to a plain-text format.

This topic is 6144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.