New Record Button

This topic is 6104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a new record button on my layout that i would like to hide if the user is unable to create new records.

There does not seem to be a reliable way to test if this privilege is available dynamically.

Sure if i know whats in the privilege set then yes but i do not want to define my Accounts & Privileges until the end with my clients.

This is annoying as the "New Record" command does greyout on the Menubar when it is not available.

Maybe i am missing something, it would not be the first time.

Anyone enlighten me?

I have a new record button on my layout that i would like to hide if the user is unable to create new records.

There does not seem to be a reliable way to test if this privilege is available dynamically.

I would consider the visibility-trick here! Take a look - you relogin with full privileges as Admin, sans password....

--sd

testfp7.zip

Hey Soren,

Now here is a perfect example of the issue.

I can test for the name of the privilege set but not the state of the "New Record" command or "Record Creation" privilege.

I have 50 tables and need to be able to test this on a table by table basis. I do not want to change GUI calcs whenever i change specific items in the privilege set.

I have many clients and there business structures vary according to the skills of individuals and size of organization, as a result privilege sets are customised client for client, In this senario i would need to change the GUI calcs whenever i modify the privilege set. I can see a large room for error. :

Very frustrating

as a result privilege sets are customized client for client

Can't they be categorized and then assigned to privilege sets according to circumstance and previous possesed privilege set, say stored in $$variables or such.

In this senario i would need to change the GUI calcs whenever i modify the privilege set

Well I came to think of the ability to tabbed layouts with hidden tabs as well... there are breathtaking variations to this method:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos9/demo908.html

--sd

I think i am going to have to do this in reverse by setting up extended privileges in relation to the creation of records and other levels of access.

This means an opt in approach meaning a newly user account has little or no privileges when created.

I just hope this will not be to much of a burden on admin.

This topic is 6104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.