Keeping a "found" set when switching layouts

This topic is 6099 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to learn FileMaker 9.0 for PC on my own after working only with 5.5 for Mac. Is there a way to keep the group of records I "found" within one layout when I switch to a different layout? It did this automatically in the old (very old!) version I used to use. I work in a school and I need my teachers to "find their homeroom group" and then switch to different layouts for each subject to enter grades and such. Right now when I switch to layout #2 I lose the records I was working with in Layout #1 and have to find and sort all over again.

Edited by Guest

This implies that the different layouts are configured to show data from different table occurences (files in FMP 5.5 language).

Your ideal solution could be to have the subjects, grades etc in a portal (ie. a related table) and keep them on the same layout as the "homeroom group"). Use the portal to do the data entry.

Alternatively use the Go To Related Record in a script (or button) to switch layout at the same time.

Apologies if this is info overload but the leap from 5.5 to 7+ is steep.

Right the behaviour have changed, what you need to do is to establish a selfjoin from recordID to recordID, and then when a found set is established, issue a:

GTRR(FS) Go to related record (Found Set) landing you on the desired layout!

You would learn that it's to the better it has changed, allowing cool thing as this:

http://www.sumware.net/robfm/savingfoundsets.php

--sd

This topic is 6099 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.