Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Getting current date into XML export

MicheleC

This topic is 6005 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have several scripts that export XML in conjunction with an XSL style sheet to generate HTML. I would like at the top of each HTML file to have something like "(generated from the database on yyyy/mm/dd)" so that a viewer can easily tell how old the HTML data is that they're viewing (these are internal viewers only). The date of export is not in the XML that is exported (a surprise, that - seems quite a basic piece of info); for those of you familiar with XSL it will come as no surprise that XSL provides no built-in way to get current date; I have tried the xml-script element (to run javascript date functions) as well as the EXSLT date extension but apparently FMPro's built-in XML parser (Xalan) doesn't support either of these; I have tried creating a variable with today's date but (a) unless it's displayed on the layout I can't get it into the XML export and (: once it's displayed on the layout it doesn't automatically update to the current date every day. Any ideas? I know there has to be an easy way to do this...

Thanks - but how do you export without it's being on the layout? When I set up the XML export I have a list of fields on the left to choose from. The date variable I set does not show up on this list. When I add it to the layout, it does show up on this list. What am I missing?

Edited by Guest
Clarity

This topic is 6005 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.